Sunday, May 25, 2008

Baby Kian

When working a night shift you have to be mentally prepared for anything. It could mean that you will be running around all night or you might have the luxury of sleeping all night. You never know. A few weeks ago I was about ready to go on night shift. I felt pretty good, was in a pleasant mood, relaxed. Then one of the girls mentioned to me that there were 5 labors at the clinic. My eyes got real wide and my adrenals started pumping adrenaline into my veins. I though wow, it is going to be one of those kinds of nights. One thing that I fall back on to keep my sanity is chanting to myself, “It is only 8 hours. I can do anything for 8 hours.” So I headed over to the clinic ready to accept the challenge of the night. The first women delivered even before endorsements were over. Two more were transported for high blood pressure by midnight. Since there are only for midwives working and 5 women in labor I decided to watch 2 of them. Jean was one of the 2 ladies. She seemed close to having her baby, or at least I hoped she was close cause she was not able to handle the pain. She was in labor with her first baby and seemed terrified. Her husband was really great at encouraging her. Thankfully I was right with my assumption and she delivered not to long after that. She had a handsome little boy. Not to long after the birth we noticed that his left foot was clubbed. Jean was devastated. Babies who are born here with disabilities do not always get the care they need. Especially the women we serve are poor, and even though they want the best for their babies, it is not an option most of the time. I referred the baby to a pediatrician we work with for an evaluation. He referred the baby to an orthopedic surgeon. When Jean came in for her 1-week checkup I was shocked to see the baby with a full-leg cast. Baby’s bones are soft, by putting his foot in a cast they are able to manipulate the bones into a correct place. So for now Kian will be put in a new cast every week until his foot has been corrected.
We praise God for making a way to correct his foot. It is common to see adults here walking around on uncorrected club feet. I am thankful that Kian will not have to deal with this disability later in life. Another praise is that the casts are being put on for free at the government hospital here in Davao.

No comments: