Sunday, May 25, 2008

Anita

In the past few months I have had the opportunity to catch a few babies. Anita though is a different story. I first met Anita in 2006 when I was her midwife with her first baby. We bonded through the birth and postpartum of her first baby Rexan. When I found out she was pregnant again and was having her prenatals at Mercy I jumped at the chance to be her midwife again. It was great to see her again and continue the relationship. One of my favorite things about being a midwife is getting to care for a woman through multiple pregnancies. Knowing a woman’s history helps in giving her excellent care. The challenging thing about committing to being with a woman when she delivers in being on-call. Especially in cases when she waits until the last minute to come into the clinic. This was the case with Anita. She came in and delivered within 5 minutes of arriving. And it just happened to be on a morning that I was out. My friend Laura and I were at a 5k fun run. Within 5 minutes of finishing the race I received a text saying Anita was in labor and to come fast. Then 2 minutes later I received another text saying that she already delivered. It was a bummer, but I was happy to have finished to race before getting the text. It would have been worse to have to quit the race and still not be there for the birth. Laura and I headed back to the clinic and I helped finish up the care after birth. Anita had a little girl this time around. She is so adorable!

No comments: