Sunday, October 11, 2009

Simone Pelle

Last wednesday we held a mobile prenatal clinic in Simone Pelle, an innercity slum. Upon arriving I was informed about the significance of us being there. Lisa told me that a couple years ago this area was completely closed off by the UN cause the area was so unsafe. One of our guards at Heartline Ministries lives in Simone Pelle. He was the one who organized this prenatal outreach. This is the second time the team has gone in. We are planning on going in once a month to do education and prenatal checkups with the ladies. We are limiting the program to 30 women. This last week we accepted 2 women into the program cause two other women delivered within this last month.
Last month the clinic was held in a house. This time we had the privledge of using a church building. We started out by greeting the women then I gave a health teaching on preeclampsia. Preeclampsia is a serious condition some women develop during pregnancy. Preeclampsia is a common killer among pregnant women in Haiti. You can reduce your risk and even reverse signs of preeclampsia with a diet high in protein and salt. The women seemed receptive to what I taught. After the health teaching the women had their vitals checked by Beth and Lisa. After vitals they had a prenatal checkup by either Stephanie or I. I really enjoyed getting to do brief check ups on these women and encouraging them by giving them time, affection, and knowledge.
One of the ladies I saw had symptoms of preeclampsia. She also seemed to be carrying twins. It is interesting being in a position of having minimal contact with these women, only seeing them once a month. I doubt they are getting any prenatal care beyond that. It was humbling telling this women the warning signs of late preeclampsia. All I could do was offer nutritional advice and hope and pray that she will follow it and get better, or at least not get worse. Please pray for this women with me. I don't remember her name but God know exactly who she is. I will let you know how she is doing next month when we go back. I was honored to get to go into this community. Walking down the windy congested paths reminded me of being in the slums in the Philippines. Though they live in conditions that are unimaginable for some people, they have community that is unimaginable for some. That sense of community lights me up inside. Until next month Simone Pelle!

1 comment:

Shauna said...

wow, jonna, this is such important work you are doing! i am definitely praying for these women and especially for you as you discover how to teach and serve them best.